Your body needs calcium to maintain a healthy body. It is common knowledge that the body needs calcium for the bones and teeth, however, calcium is imperative for the health of your muscle and nerve functions. Calcium is also very helpful for your blood health. The effects of good calcium levels are far reaching, beyond the health of your bones.
That said, it’s important to know what level your body needs. This is determined by your age:
- Infants from birth to 1 year: 400-600 mg
- Children ages 1-10: 800 mg
- Preteens and teenagers: 1,200 – 1,500 mg
- Adults: 1,200 mg
- Pregnant women: 1,500 – 2,000 mg
- Lactating women: 1,200 – 1,500 mg
- Seniors: 1,500 mg
So where does your body get calcium from? It is easy to think we can take a supplement of calcium and call it a day, however, your body needs dozens of minerals and nutrients to absorb the supplemental form of calcium. It is better to find it in your foods:
- Dairy products, like milk, cheese, and yogurt.
- Dark leafy greens (kale, turnips, and collard greens)
- Soybeans, and tofu.
The most important vitamin your body needs in order to absorb calcium is Vitamin D. Again, this vitamin is best ingested via your habits and foods. Get Vitamin D by:
- 20 minutes of direct sunlight (make sure to wear your SPF)
- Fatty fish
Your dental health is a holistic venture, make sure you take care of yourself wholly, and your oral health will follow. If you are looking for a dentist in Brooklyn, our team of board certified doctors and specialists are here for you and your family. Get in contact with us today!