Practicing Preventive Dentistry is the foundation of our commitment to treating you to the best standard of care. Our procedures and treatments are meant to prevent oral health problems from rearing their ugly heads:
Comprehensive Oral Evaluation
We recommend a sensible oral hygiene regimen as the best way to preserve the health of your teeth and gums. In addition to daily brushing and flossing, this includes regular dental examinations and professional teeth cleanings. When you visit Modern Dentistry for dental services, you will receive a comprehensive oral evaluation of your mouth, which includes:
- Gum Disease Evaluation- we check your gums and the bone around your teeth for any signs of periodontal disease
- Tooth Decay Screening - we examine all your tooth surfaces for decay and recommend appropriate treatment
- Oral Cancer – we examine your lips, tongue, throat, tissues and gums, and look for any signs of oral cancer
- Digital X-Rays – We can detect tumors, cysts and bone loss, as well as tooth and root positions, using these low-radiation X-rays
- Examination of Your Existing Restorations - We evaluate the current condition of your existing fillings and crowns
- Occlusion Analysis - We evaluate your bite for occlusion problems. An improper bite can impact the overall structure of your face and contribute to TMJ
- Smile Analysis - We conduct a Smile Analysis to create the smile of your dreams
Complete, Gentle Ultrasonic Tooth Cleaning
Good oral hygiene is crucial in the prevention of a variety of dental and medical problems. Recent research has shown that the bacteria present in gum disease are also found in the plaques clogging arteries in people with heart disease. Therefore, a good professional cleaning is essential not only for the health of your teeth, but also for your general well-being. A cleaning includes:Tartar Removal – Calculus, or tartar, is hardened plaque that has firmly attached to the tooth surface above and below the gum line and must be removed by a dental hygienist.
- Plaque Removal- Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on your teeth. It’s a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris and saliva. If not periodically removed, the bacteria produce toxins that infect and inflame the gums – the warning signs of periodontal disease.
- Teeth polishing- this removes stains and further buildups of plaque that may not be removed during regular tooth brushing
- Home Care Instructions- You’ll leave each dental visit with clear, easy-to-follow instructions to enhance the care of your teeth and smile. And if that’s not enough, you receive a complimentary electric tooth brush!
Fluoride is a natural substance that helps strengthen teeth and prevent decay in patients of all ages. Fluoride is scientifically proven to help combat cavity growth and tooth decay by strengthening the tooth enamel. When normal exposure to daily fluoride from tooth pastes does not prevent cavity growth or tooth decay, our oral health care professionals at Modern Dentistry can administer fluoride treatment during a routine checkup that has a stronger concentration of fluoride. This professional treatment is safe and very effective for improving the quality of your teeth.
Common reasons for Fluoride Treatment:
- Sensitive Tooth Root or Exposed Root Surface
- Irregular Flow of Saliva or Dry Mouth
- Infrequent Oral Hygiene
- Deep Fissures or Pits on Teeth Surface
- History of Tooth Decay
- No Daily Fluoride Exposure
- Frequent Carbohydrate and Sugar Consumption
- Existing Dental Restorations
Good oral hygiene – brushing and flossing daily – and a healthy diet are the best way to prevent plaque build-up in the mouth. But even the most thorough brushing does not always reach the deepest indentations in the back teeth (molars). Dental sealants are tough coatings that fill in these depressions, preventing bacterial formation that causes tooth decay and other damage. In a procedure that takes only a few minutes per tooth, our dentist coats and bonds a plastic sealant to the tooth. The sealants are long-lasting and extremely durable methods of preventing tooth decay and other dental problems.
Oral Cancer Detection and Screening
Oral Cancer is the sixth most common cancer in the nation, accounting for 40,000 new diagnosed cancers in the US each year. It is a devastating, even deadly, cancer that can go unnoticed until it has progressed to later stages. 25% of all oral cancer victims are non-smokers, non-drinkers and have no other lifestyle risk factors. As with any cancer, early detection and diagnosis is key. It is important for patients to see an oral healthcare professional regularly, particularly if they are in the high risk groups: those who use tobacco, abuse alcohol, or have been exposed to HPV.
Our health care professionals at Modern Dentistry perform free oral cancer screenings and examinations during your routine checkups. Oral cancer often starts as a tiny, unnoticed white or red spot or sore in the mouth. It can affect any area of the oral cavity, including the lips, gum tissue, cheek lining, tongue and the hard or soft palate. Regular dental checkups, including an examination of the entire mouth, can detect cancerous and pre-cancerous conditions.
We also offer and additional oral cancer screening tool: ViziLite® Plus with TBlue®, the leading oral cancer screening system that has been developed by oral health care professionals to identify, evaluate, monitor and mark abnormal oral lesions suspicious for pathology including precancerous cells and cancer that may be difficult to see during a regular visual exam.
ViziLite® Plus with TBlue® Oral Cancer Screening Tool:
- Patented and clinically proven technology that has been helping healthcare professionals for more than a decade
- A clinical study has shown that the use of ViziLite® Plus with TBlue®
- -NO FALSE NEGATIVE OUTCOMES : meaning, in this clinical study ViziLite® Plus with TBlue® identified every lesion that had precancerous cells or cancer
- -SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCING the number of false positive lesions identified during standard visual examination –limiting the number of biopsies that may have normally been performed.
- Small device makes it easy to see all areas of the oral cavity
- Disposable technology eliminates cross-contamination
- ViziLite® Plus with TBlue® is manufactured in a GMP facility, providing consistency in product quality
Low Radiation Digital X-Rays
At Modern Dentistry, we’re focused on using the most advanced technology to provide the greatest benefits to our patients. One such advance is the use of Low-Radiation Digital X-rays, which produce consistently safer and better imaging.
Here are some of the reasons this technique is superior to other X-ray technology:
Less Radiation - Our Digital X-ray units use at least 50% less radiation than conventional film X-rays
Better Results - The Low-Radiation Digital X-Ray technology we use provides results as accurate as conventional X-rays while revealing images missed by film X-rays. The digital image also can be magnified 300 times its normal size to enhance diagnosis
Faster X-rays - Low-Radiation Digital X-Ray images appear instantaneously on the computer monitor allowing us to immediately review your images and discuss treatment options with you
Home Dental Care Education
Modern Dentistry is committed to educating you about the care and maintenance of your mouth, and being a loyal partner in your oral health care. Our health care professionals will show you the proper way to brush and floss, and we’ll discuss the warning signs of periodontal disease. You’ll leave each dental visit with clear, easy-to-follow instructions to enhance the care of your teeth and smile. And if you have a special medical condition, like diabetes, we can provide more specialized recommendations.
Night Guards to Prevent Clenching or Grinding
People who grind or clench their teeth may wake up with a headache, earache or toothache. Their facial muscles may be sore and the jaw joints tender, resulting in jaw problems (TMJ).. Besides causing discomfort, grinding can eventually damage dental restorations and may loosen teeth.If you routinely grind or clench your teeth, a custom-fitted night guard can help. Custom-made in the dental office from soft material to fit your teeth, the night guard slips over the teeth in one jaw and prevents contact with the opposing teeth. This relieves the pressure of grinding and clenching.
Sports Guards for Custom Protection
A properly fitted sports guard, or mouth protector, is an important piece of athletic gear that can protect your teeth and smile. Sports guards are used in contact sports including football, boxing, ice hockey, lacrosse and women’s field hockey.A custom-fitted mouth guard professionally made in the dental office can be tailored to the demands of an athlete in any sport. Custom sports guards are resilient, tear-resistant and comfortable because they fit properly. Sports guards are durable, easy to clean, and will not restrict your speech or breathing.